Monday, July 25, 2011

and, the ugly award goes to...

...these guys...


...especially this one...


We found these hanging on our arbovitae -- the bushes in my background photo.  They make little cocoons for themselves that look like pinecones.  Pretty sneaky, right?  I noticed them while we were floating around in the 90 degree pool water last week.  I asked Rick -- are those pinecones moving?  He thought so too.  And, then I remembered someone mentioned them a few years back while I was doing "sign out" duty in Sofia's school.  We have tons of people around here who have alot of agricultural knowledge.  If they're in the cocoon, pesticide doesn't kill them -- soooooo --- you have to pick them off the tree individually.  Since Rick was on "staycation" and doing nothing else, I gave him that job.  I have to keep him busy or he gets into trouble ;-)

This is what they look like hanging on the tree -- not my photo -- Rick picked them off the tree before I finished floating around the pool.  I figured since there was something to keep me entertained, I should stay in the pool awhile longer ;-) 



If you don't get them off your tree, they eat it until it dies.  If you want to read up on them, they are called "bag worms".  Click here for more info.         

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a response. We really love hearing from you! :)