Tuesday, July 26, 2011

a belated birthday tribute...

I have been working on this block for 3 days.  The name of it is "Butterfly at the Crossroads" and I wanted to complete it on July 22 as a tribute to my father's birthday.  That did not happen, so here it is...a little late.  This block is the most challenging one that I have done so far.  Because of the triangles, it took quite a bit of focus --  even so -- it was relaxing to work on and also the most fun.


I really didn't go flipping through "the book" looking for a butterfly block.  It is the first block I found while I was looking for a block that has 5 rows.  Why did I need a block with 5 rows?  I received an email from someone who had a question about a comment on had left on someone else's blog.  After I replied, she sent me another email asking how would I use Lori Holt's no template tutorial with a block that has 5 rows.  Since I am new to many of the traditional quilt blocks shown in "the book", I wanted to see if the no template tutorial would work for this block. 

   I looked at the block and decided the two center rectangles and square would be my starting point.  Since my finished block size is 6 inches, the width across the 2 rectangles + 1 square should equal 6 inches.  The finished width across each rectangle equals 2 1/2 inches.  The finished width across the center square equals 1 inch.

   The other rectangles, squares and HSTs fit in around this.  Since the finished width of the center square equals 1 inch, then the finished width for each of the 2 connected vertical rectangles equals 1 inch.  The width of the remaining area on each side of a vertical rectangle equals 2 1/2 inches, so the finished width of each square piece or HST piece equals 1 1/4".

I am very happy with the way this block turned out!  I think my father would have liked it.  Am I learnin'? :-) 
     

2 comments:

  1. when is Larry's B'day and how old would he have been??

    KF

    ReplyDelete
  2. July 22. He would have been 76 years old.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a response. We really love hearing from you! :)