Tuesday, February 1, 2011

easiest ever chicken soup...

Do any of you watch the PBS cooking show "Ciao Italia"?  Well, according to the hostess of the show, MaryAnn Esposito -- "Soup in a can should be left there."  I think about that every time I open up a can of soup.  I have tried, many, many times to make my own chicken soup -- but it never really tastes the way I want it to -- and then after all the work, no one eats it.  So, on Sunday -- not my regular food shopping day, but I had to go that day because the weather has been so miserable -- as I was standing at the front of the line of people waiting for the rotisserie chickens to pop out of the oven -- a small group of women (including myself) were having a bit of small chat.  One of the women mentioned that she makes soup with the rotisserie chicken and shared her simple recipe.  So, I bought 2 chickens that day.  One of the chickens we ate on Sunday, and then, last night I made the soup with the other chicken.  It was even better than I expected, so, I am happy to share the recipe with you.

Ingredients:
1) Fully cooked rotisserie chicken purchased at  your favorite food store.  I used a 3 lb. chicken in this recipe.
2) Low sodium chicken broth.  I used 2 x 32 oz. containers in this recipe.
3) Vegetables of your choice.  I used potatoes and carrots.
4) Noodles.  I used farfalle (bow ties).  Boil water in a separate pot for these and cook separately from chicken.


5) Place chicken in large pot.  The chicken I used had been in the refrigerator, so my cooking time was adjusted for the colder temperature of the chicken.
6) Add chicken broth.
7) Add vegetables.
8) Add a light sprinkle of black pepper to top of chicken.
9)  Bring to a simmer.  Cook until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.  If you don't add any vegetables, then cook about 20 minutes after bringing to a simmer.


Yup, that's it!  Oh, right --serve and enjoy!  :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a response. We really love hearing from you! :)